Friday, July 24, 2009

Midnight With Gracie ABBY

Acutely aware of the trembling hold
I lay claim to on that rickety Trellis
Two times my foot falters, my goal still unaltered
It's that window or the whip of the mistress

A moon just as tall as the good Reverend Paul
and as bright as the eyes of my pony
Mama says when its full we come straight home from school
While the housewives find courtesans for stoning

Spurts of jubilant laughter escape cherry lips
dripping down, sounding sweet as molasses
feet rubbed black with ash born of bonfires past
Stains stubborn as three pairs of jackasses

Rose bushes and briers cut my feet like barbed wire
Us grown boys don't mind them so much
Come morning me and Grace, we're both gonna be eight
And mama promised me peach pie for lunch

Slithering legs, lithe from boy's play
make it in two strides up to her bedroom
She straddled the sill, trussed in nightgown and frills
Climbing back down to prance with the moon

All night we ran just as young children can
and we conjured up pirates and treasure
Tonight's tryst was a secret,and we both swore to keep it
A forbidden and dangerous pleasure

She shimmied quick up those vines, just a nick before five
And i whistled my way through the forest
I'm officially eight not a minute too late
Cause I'm in love with that girl, Gracie Norris.

No comments:

Post a Comment